Friday, February 6, 2009

Sponsor me to swim like a Dolphin!!!

OK, so those of you who know me are aware I have not done any form of "real" exercise since leaving compulsory education (and compulsory PE) over 10 years ago. So - It is with complete madness that I shall be swimming across the Mekong river in April.


Here are some facts about the Mekong River:
  • It is the 12th-longest river in the world
  • It is the 7th longest in Asia
  • Its estimated length is 4,350 km (2,703 mi) [to be fair I did say I was swimming across it not up it]
  • The extreme seasonal variations in flow and the presence of rapids and waterfalls have made navigation extremely difficult.
  • More than 1,200 species of fish have been identified and there could be possibly as many as 1,700. The fish there are BIG... in fact...
  • No other river is home to so many species of very large fish - The giant Mekong Catfish is one of them (below). And if that's not enough...
  • A rare type of crocodile lives in it
I have never understood why anyone would want to train for anything that involves exercise before but now I am in "training". The reason is simple. I do not wish to drown.

Please also remember that I am extremely petrified of "creatures I cannot see in the water".

Another incentive would be for me to raise money for Cambodian Children's Projects. So if you would like to SPONSOR me (please!!!!) to swim like a dolphin rather than a beached whale please drop me an email or leave a comment below.

See they are REALLY BIG

No comments: