Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sunday is red day...

Royal invitation

Today I found out that the Royal Palace had accepted my request to meet with the King of Cambodia His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah Boromneath Norodom Sihamoni with the 10 chidlren of the Smile photographic project from CCH and CDCC! We meet with the King on 26 October at 11am - the day after the exhibition.

In England, in the small city where I am from there is an entire floor in an ancient department store which can only be described as a "meet the Queen" floor. A floor full of hideous coloured jackets and skirts and so on... There is no such thing in Cambodia. Meeting the king requires a traditional sampot. This is a floor length skirt worn with a white blouse/shirt. I first went to the local silk shop I had been meaning to go to for months but had never got round to and got reams of red silk. The woman at the shop told me that Sunday was red day. In Cambodia each day has a colour. At the Royal Palace formal costume is coloured by the day of the week. This silk was then taken to my favourite tailors - Threads (located behind one of my favourite cafes) and I decided on the style of Sampot. It will be ready next Thursday... The framed pictures should also be ready then too!

No comments: